Thursday, September 19, 2013

Pennies From Heaven....Really?

There is a stretch of sidewalk on my normal walking route where someone has glued a few coins to the concrete.  I have never met this person, but I know that they possess a bit of a sadistic sense of humor.  I just imagine them sitting in their house each day, looking out the window, watching and waiting for people to walk, bend down and attempt to pick up the coins.  I have a feeling it brings them joy to see it happen over and over again.

I also know this person is smart, because the first coin you come to is a penny.  It is almost not worth bending down to pick up, after all the only thing a penny is good for is giving it to the cashier when your bill ends in 91 cents so she gives you back a full dime rather than four more pennies and a nickel.  You used to be able to at least buy a gumball, but it has been years since I have seen a gumball machine that takes pennies.  If you know of the whereabouts of one let me know, I have a handful of pennies and I will treat you to a gumball or two, but I diverge.  Because the first coin you see is only a penny and not worth much by itself, you keep walking.



What this initial penny does, however, is make you aware of the possibility that there is more coinage to be discovered, and this is how I know the person is smart because in just two steps there it is, another coin. You see it because you are now looking.   It is either a nickel or a quarter.  I do not remember because all it takes to trigger the reflex to bend down and pick it up is the fact that it is bigger than a penny and it is sliver.  I am not ashamed to admit that upon seeing this silver coin I bent over to pick it up.  That is when I discovered that it was securely affixed to the sidewalk.  In an instant I knew I had fallen victim to someone’s prank, and became aware that that person was probably watching and laughing, hidden behind the curtain of the house in front of which all this takes place.

Now let several weeks, maybe even several months go by.  Fill those months with life changing circumstances that preoccupy much of your thoughts, and you might just find yourself walking down the same sidewalk, coming across the same penny, which like magic, opens your mind up to the possibility of more coins being strewn on the concrete, and bending over to pick up the large silver coin that comes next. 

If you felt slightly foolish the first time, the feeling is now fully realized as the thought of “I have done this before” quickly flashes across your mind.  You are sure that the person behind the window has some way of keeping score of how many people stop to pick up the money and you have just added another tally mark to the total, your second.

Fool me once, shame on me.  Fool me twice, shame on you.  Fool me three times…well I do not even want to go there.  At occurrence number two I decided to commit the moment to memory, to notice where the coins were in relationship to the surrounding houses, to remember that each coin has a bit of glue which oozed out and discolored the concrete around them so that in a couple of weeks, or months, when my mind is preoccupied with other thoughts and the penny presents itself I would remember want comes next.

I am happy to report that today, I came noticed that penny once again.  Rather than opening me up to the possibility of finding more coins, it triggered a memory of what the consequence would be if I allowed myself to go down that path.  I kept walking and saw the next coin, but instead of bending down to pick it up, I smile and imagined the person behind the curtain, poised to put one more tally mark on their board, having to sink back into their chair without the scarification of claiming one more victim, or in my particular case, the same victim for the third time.

I also could not help but think how similar this experience to other things that draw our attention, cause us to be tempted to seek out what has no capacity to satisfy, and which in the end leave us feeling foolish.

Instead of a penny to trigger our radar, these other experiences are triggered by loneliness, hurt, shame, guilt, and any other of a number of negative emotions we were never designed to experience.  Our reaction to this trigger is to begin looking for ways to deaden the pain, fill the void, and make ourselves feel anything other what was we are currently feeling.  We start looking for the shinny coin.

These coins come in all kinds of forms.  For some it is sex that is not safely held in the covenant commitment of marriage.  For others it could be any one of a number of substances that dull the pain and help you forget for a brief time.  I have seen others scan the landscape for coins that are shaped like success, power, money, and other coins that give the illusion that the person is in control.  Sometimes it could be a coin that fills the need to be needed, or fills your stomach so you feel full.

Like the currency of different countries, there are so many kinds of coins that I could not possibly describe them all, but they all have one thing in common.  They are someone’s sadistic trick to make us seek after something that was not intended to provide what its appearance promises.  I wonder if there is not someone sitting behind a curtain making tally marks every time we reach for one of these, laughing his head off because he knows that by drawing our attention to this coin he has removed our attention from the one who is able to fulfill all that has been promised.

With the prevalence of loneliness, hurt, shame, and guilt it is hard to imagine that we were never supposed to experience these things.  They were given birth when we turned from the one with whom we were designed to share unceasing relationship and fullness of life to seek after a coin that was glued down to the sidewalk, having no ability to provide what we had hoped it would.

In the process we have discovered disappointment, loss of relationship, and have settled for a life that is anything but full, but that doesn’t mean we have to keep seeking after the coins that brought us to this place of foolishness.  We remember the penny and where it leads.  We can choose to make a mental note of what triggers us to begin scanning the sidewalk for the shinny coin that cannot fulfill its promise.  We can ask the Holy Spirit to recognize it when it comes along, and remind us how unfulfilling it is and recall how foolish we feel when we find ourselves, one more time, turning to something that cannot deliver what we hope.

The Spirit of God can do so much more than that for us.  He can not only help us avoid falling into some sadistic trap, He can lead us to the one who was intended to be in constant relationship with us, pushing away our loneliness.  He can remove our guilt and shame, and can redeem and heal our hurts.  When our attention is locked on the power He has to do these things, we will not be looking down for coins on a sidewalk.  Our eyes will be high and lifted up, looking to the one who has the capacity to redeem and restore all things.  He is our treasure.

I just imagine the guy behind the curtain having to sink back in his chair without the satisfaction of making one more tally mark, claiming one more victim and I cannot help but smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment