Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Hike

With a little more than an hour before I needed to be at the airport I found a trail that led to a waterfall and I took it.

I must say from the very beginning, we who resided in Southern California have no comprehension of how green and lush a trail can be in a climate where they actually get things like rain and snow.  This one attribute bathes the edge of what would be a ho hum stream in great beauty.  It is in this beauty that I journeyed this trail.


Because I started the trail near the waterfall, it was of the first places I stopped. This particular waterfall is manmade.  In fact, when President Linden b. Johnson came to visit it during a drought the city turned on all the fire hydrants up stream to ensure there would be a significant flow of water.   They wanted to guarantee that the President saw it in all its glory.  Today the water was flowing with great vigor and it was beautiful.



After taking in the falls for a few moments, I headed down stream.  The well maintained trail hugged the bank of the stream which supplied a soothing soundtrack for this hike.  The trees provided a cooling canopy of shade.  What a pleasant discovery in my last hour in the city.

About halfway down the trail there was a large steal bridge that crossed the small gorge which had been carved out by this stream.  It was a single span arch, made with steel girders that were quite striking.  I had passed several small foot bridges that crossed the river along the way, but none of them were as splendid as this one.


I attempted to get a decent photo of it with the camera on my phone, but the only thing the trees would allow was glimpses of the bridge.  The canopy was obscuring the view.  I left the trail to find a better vantage point, but none was to be found.  Because of the trees I could not photograph the tree in its entirety.  This was a disappointment.

Finally I turned and started back down the path.  As I walked away from the bridge I had a thought, “Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to cut down some of those trees so you could capture the bridge in a photograph.”  Almost immediately, I stopped myself and thought, “What are you thinking?  Here you are hiking down this beautiful trail, made more so by the trees through which it meanders, and you want to thin them out so you can see a bridge.”

What if I forgot about the bridge, quit thinking about what I wished I could see and focused on what is right in front of me?

As I began to do this another ran across my mind, “How many other areas of life do I have the same propensity to look beyond the beauty in front of me, longing to see what is only a notion in the distance?”

Sometimes I can do this with people.  I have had someone standing right in front of me who is uniquely created by God.  They are His workmanship, a person of beauty, and I can be looking over their shoulder anticipating the arrival of someone else rather than being present in the moment.

I can do this with the circumstances of my life.  I have a hope for what is coming, an inkling that there is something beautiful on the horizon, and the preoccupation with what is to come keeps me from seeing the beauty of what God is doing in the here and now.

There are times I do this with my own growth.  I am so focused on who I desire to become that I cannot see the beauty of how God has already shaped me.  This creates a discontent, rather than gratitude for what God has already accomplished.

In each of these examples I am focused on something in the distance that keeps me from fully discovering the beauty of where I find myself in the present moment.

There have been times when I have been hiking that I have been so focused on the destination that I have practically run through the forest.  The drive is so strong to get there that my vision is either focused on an obscured point in the distance, or on the path at my feet. In the process, I miss the beauty of the woods that are flying by me.  Usually this is because I am trying to get somewhere by a certain time, or meet some arbitrary goal I have set for myself.  I may meet it, or get there at the desired moment, but what have I lost along the way?

Scripture tell us our days are ordained, God is faithful to complete the good work He has begun in us, and that He is sovereign over all things.  This should give us great freedom to not worry about those things that seem obscure in the present moment, or which are still some distance away.  It should give us freedom to be able to live in the present moment, enjoying and discovering the beauty of the here and now.

It is amazing to me how many times we are commanded in Scripture to wait and to rest, to simply be in the moment where we find ourselves.  We are not to seek to get there quicker, or cut down trees to gain a better view, but to simply live in trust that God makes all things beautiful in His time.  This kind of trust makes the invitation to live in the present moment one which we can accept.  When we do we will truly see the beauty that is before us.

Psalms 139:16
Your eyes have seen my unformed substance;
And in Your book were all written
The days that were ordained for me,
When as yet there was not one of them.

Philippians 1:6
For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

Proverbs 16: 9
The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment